Friday 23 July 2010

Lifestyle tips for busy mums: hiring staff

I'm continuing this series of helpful posts darlings. I hope you found last week's guide to the salon useful. This week I'm going to tackle an issue which many busy mothers have trouble with: staff.

I've lost count of the poor mummies I've chatted to on twitter recently about their lack of staff. Help is really important, I can't stress that enough. I have a nanny, a personal assistant, a cleaner, a cook and a driver to help me on a daily basis. I also draft in a personal trainer, stylist and beautician as and when. I also have an agent and a PR. The position of night nanny is currently vacant.

Now I realise I'm fairly priviliged. But I think that most households can accommodate staff if you adjust your budget accordingly.

Most people should be able to afford a cleaner. Around £10 an hour and mine does 15 hours a week. A cook and driver don't cost much more. Nannies only get paid about £30k but remember you'll need to pay national insurance on top of that and provide holiday, sick and maternity pay. If you're unsure then ask your accountant. Have I forgotten to add accountant to my list? You can pay a nanny less if she lives in with you and consider an au pair as a cheap option.

So if you need help, busy mum darlings, then have a little sit down with your calculator and see if you can afford to hire one or two people. It really does make a difference and we all need a little break and a rest don't we sweetie?

More advice from me next week!

6 comments:

  1. Such great advise there - how have I ever managed this long without staff..?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo pleased you found it useful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the wrong profession! I love to clean my house. Shame it doesn't pay...at all! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Staff... I *knew* I was missing something!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. - LauraCYMFT: you love to clean sweetie? I don't think I've ever come across anyone who likes to clean. You're a novelty!
    - Nickie: and as you can see it's quite easy to hire some darling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I clean my own house. Where's my £10 an hour? I must be owed loads from all the years of cleaning.
    I must admit though I do sometimes think it would be lovely to get someone in to do the ironing. Maybe one day.....

    ReplyDelete

Comments are beautiful things sweetie